Sunday, November 13, 2011

Hurty Parts & Other Stuff

2 weeks of walking on a broken hip and my various pains have re-prioritized themselves.  It's really too bad I'm not a masochist, since I find my current state utterly joyless.  Actually the hip is minutely better, but the chest pain is returning with a vengeance, which I assume is from using more pressure on my arms and chest to walk in order to bear some of the weight my legs would normally take.  See pain doc on the 23rd.  Can't wait to berate him. He needs it, dammit...friggin joke for a pain doctor.  "Oh, you broke your hip? Here, have some Advil."  Asshole.

I am going to attempt to walk just a little farther every day.  I can pretty much walk around the house without the walker, but I need it for any distance at all.  I cannot just lay on this stupid couch and rot.  It's killing me.  Literally.

I'll be really glad when I can start using the Rue harness. The harness making woman said it takes about a month to complete. I can understand that because it's entirely handmade to individual measurements out of latigo leather, (Yeah, like a Leather Woman would order something OTHER than a leather harness?) with a sheepskin lining and stainless hardware. They look like this with subtle variations depending on specific needs:



It beats the hell out of a stupid rollator or being stuck in a damned electric wheelchair or scooter, not to mention it forces me to get out of the house.

I bought a head lamp for my head - a little led flashlight that's stuck on a headband, so I can take Rue out walking at night.  There are no streetlamps on my street, so unless I just want to walk her back and forth in my driveway only, I  need some kind of light, and obviously I wouldn't have a free hand to hold a flashlight.  I'm wondering if I should also get a bicycle reflector to glue or clip onto the back of the headband.

I NEED to start taking Rue out into public places - I can do that now that she has her ID. She hasn't had much experience in crowds, other than at dog class and inside PetSmart -- and there she wants to bark bark bark bark bark at every dog she sees.  Need to correct that, definitely.  I also need to get her into the mall where she can learn to ride the escalators and elevators, as well as how to act in a crowd.

I have a metric butt-ton of stuff to do and having the hip setback didn't help a bit.  Grrrr.  Prime example of Murphy's Law.  I'm telling you, I'm the Murphy poster girl.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, still eating steroids, still RAVENOUS, and still can't get my blood sugar any lower than 140s.  I should probably be more worried about that than I am, however... I gotta eat with my stupid meds, and I feel like I'm starved all day long.  Not just hungry -- STARVED.  Meh.  Also, the crap that I am actually allowed to eat just doesn't satisfy me in the least. 

The oddest thing is I really have no interest in food at all....I don't want anything in particular, nothing really jumps out at me on a menu - everything is just blah and ashy tasting, and if I think about it too hard before swallowing, I'll have to spit it out or gag, because if I'm thinking about it, it's already too late.  This belongs in the strange but true files, I guess:  "Ravenous Woman is Disgusted by Food."  WTH?

No comments:

Post a Comment