Friday, October 21, 2011

BRAND NEW NOSES and a BITCH

This is the time of year when I usually replenish my clown nose supply, since they are readily available at any pop-up Halloween store in town.  Besides the standard clown nose size, which is 2 inches, they had a GIANT clown nose, which of course I had to buy.

I bought every clown nose they had in the store.  I go through them like Pez.  I give them away, I leave them laying somewhere.  I leave them with tips, etc. Sometimes in rush hour traffic, I drive while wearing one. They're kind of my calling card, particularly since I started driving a clown car, a Honda Fit.  Not as small as a Smart car, but pretty damned small.  Especially when you consider that I am an Amazon-sized woman and sort of have to fold and unfold myself to get in and out.  (Remember, 6'3" in my ass-stomping boots.)

So now I have this wild gray hair which is a natural fright wig thanks to my grinch heart - kind of like Beethoven's hair.  My lovely red, sleek hair has been replaced by wiry white and steel gray, which I actually kind of like.  Nonetheless it is still quite shocking to me, especially if I catch my reflection in a passing mirror or window, and it probably shocks other people as well.  Meh.

I take my basket of nothing but clown noses up to the cashier, who is a muffin-topped 17ish year old girl with glitter makeup and feather extensions.  For some reason I have a huge wad of $1 bills in my purse--43 of them to be exact.  I have no idea how they got there, they just accumulate.  I pull out my wad of ones and start counting them out one by one for the girl, and I say offhandedly while counting, "Ya know, I earned all these ones by dancing!"

She curls up her lip in a sneer of disgust, flaring nostrils, the whole nine yards.  I pin back my ears in response and say flatly, "I'm teasing."   "Oh.  Ha ha."  I totally wasted my humor on the only halfwit in the store.  Gahhhhhh.

5 comments:

  1. that kid was obviosly not trained to deal with the public, yikes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only that, but by the time she's 40 I still don't think she'll get it. ~Pie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That kid was not trained to do anything but watch cartoons and eat twinkies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, in the time I've been ill, I've not shaved my head, for the first time in 10years. It was about 3/4 inch long today. I can now see that along with male pattern baldness I'm now getting pretty gray. That's ANOTHER one of your symptoms I have!
    *Shakes fist then shaves head*
    -G x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww G, I'll bet dollars to donuts you're still quite dashing, no matter your gray hairs or your funny heart! ~Pie xxx (Don't worry about the heart unless it STOPS beating!)

    ReplyDelete